How to Manually Setup Connection to NETDOOR
The information in this article applies to:
NETDOOR provides this documentation as a support tool for customers choosing to manually setup their connection to NETDOOR.
The following pages contain image maps of what your Windows 2000 configuration should look similar to when it is properly configured for use with NETDOOR. You can click on each image as if you were looking at your own settings. In this way you can choose which settings you wish to examine.
Click here to see the how to setup Window 2000 Dial-Up Networking for use with NETDOOR. To begin the setup click the Start button, select Settings, click Control Panel, and then double click the Network and Dial-Up Connections icon.
Click here to see the standard configuration of a Window 2000 Dial-Up Networking connection for use with NETDOOR. To check or change these settings click the Start button, select Settings, click Control Panel, double click the Network and Dial-Up Connections icon, and then right mouse click the NETDOOR icon and select Properties.
Setting Up a Dial Up Networking connection
- Click the Start button, select Settings and then Control Panel.
- Inside the Control Panel window, double click on the Network and Dialup Connections icon.
- Double click the Make New Connection icon.
- A welcome screen appears, click Next.
- The Network Connection Type window appears. Select Dial-up to the Internet and then click Next.
- The Welcome to the Internet Connection Wizard appears. Select I want to set up my Internet connection manually, or I want to connect through a Local Area Network(LAN) and click Next.
- Now select I connect through a phone line and a modem and then click Next.
- Now you will be asked for information about the location you are dialing. Leave the Area Code box empty. Enter the appropriate access number into the Telephone Number: box.
Also make sure that Use area code and dialing rules is NOT checked and then click Next.
- Now enter your NETDOOR username and password. Be sure that both are entered in lower case letters. Click Next.
- Now type in NETDOOR for your connection name and click the Next button.
- You will then be asked if you want to setup an email account, select NO and click Next.
- The last window of the wizard appears. You are not ready to connect yet so do not select the checkbox besides To connect to the internet... Click the Finish button to close it.
Configuring your Dial Up Networking Settings
- You should now have a new NETDOOR icon inside the Network and Dial-up connections window.
- Right-click on the new connection icon that you just created and select properties.
- The dialing properties windows appear. On the top of the window you will see 5 different tabs General, Options, Security, Networking and Sharing.
- The first tab is the General tab, that window will not need any changes.
- Click on the Option tab. Make sure you place a check besides Display progress while connecting and Prompt for name and password, certificate, etc..
- Click on the Security tab. Make sure that you only select Typical (recommended settings)
- Click on the Networking tab.
- Under Type of dial-up server I am calling select PPP: Windows95/98/NT/2000, Internet.
- Under Components checked are used by this connection: Only check the box next to Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
- Now click on Internet Protocol(TCP/IP) once to highlight it and then click the properties button.
- The TCP/IP Properties window appears. Select Obtain IP address automatically. Select Use the following DNS service addresses:, type in the following numbers and then click OK.
- Preferred DNS server = 22.214.171.124
- Alternate DNS server = 126.96.36.199
- Now click OK on the properties window.
- You are now ready to connect. Double-click on the NETDOOR icon inside the Network and Dial-up Connections folder. A new window appears.
- Click the Dial button to connect. Once it connects, you can use the web or check your email.